Most people who have this problem are shocked because they never thought it would happen to them. This problem can happen with virtually any recliner.
Today we’re talking about a bit of a scary problem some people have with their recliners. When they sit in their chairs and recline them all the way they tend to tip over backward.
- Troubleshooting issues with recliners
- Is recliner tip over dangerous?
- Not Using The Right Screws On Your Recliner
- Different Ways To Secure A Recliner
- Fix Your Recliner before it tips over
- What things should you buy to ensure a safe recliner?
- What steps should you take before you buy a recliner?
- Frequently Asked Questions
Troubleshooting issues with recliners
- Power issues with recliners
- Seating issues with recliners
- Recliner leaning
- Recliner sinking
- Recliners are uncomfortable
Let’s get started by looking at some remedies or solutions you may be able to try. We’ll discuss what steps you can take if you have this tip over the issue with your chair or if you’re considering buying a new chair.
So when I went to his home, I asked him about The Recliner Tip Over Problem since I was seeking confirmation, and when he leaned back in his chair, he toppled over.
We picked him up off of the floor with one of his family members and I apologized, saying yeah, I was just asking for clarification on the problem and not to get you to demonstrate it, and that was a service call I will never forget.
He had just purchased this new chair a couple of weeks prior, so I had a guess as to what the problem was. I decided to test my theory and I reclined in the chair in order to determine if my theory was correct.
Is recliner tip over dangerous?
I verified that the chair worked properly and had no problems, after that I broke the news to the customer, telling him that his body type did not suit the design of the chair, which was the cause of the problem. For those of you shaking your head or crying at the screen, let me explain.
This gentleman stood six feet three two inches tall with a long torso. He was not a very large man with a solid build, but his legs were extremely thin and slim he did not have a great deal of muscle.
As a result of his extra body weight in his upper body, the chair would be inclined nearly flat when it was fully reclined, so if he leans heavily against that back, it could tip over. the good news was that the customer just purchased the chair and was able to make full use of its warranty coverage.
That’s why you pay for warranty coverage to cover situations like this when there is a problem that isn’t your fault. The dealer would have wondered why he did not tip the chair over on the very first day he used it.
Let me fast forward to about a week ago when a gentleman brought a lazy boy rocker recliner chair into my shop for repair as I was finishing up his repair quote, he casually mentioned the chair tipped over backward. Now that caught my attention.
In this case, he was rather large but he didn’t have skinny legs, he was carrying a lot of weight in his upper body, he was rather square. The chair was about eight or nine years old when he brought it to my shop.
Not Using The Right Screws On Your Recliner
The seat spring will not be able to open fully if the pin is on backward. When properly installed, this pin will face the front of the chair, but when backward, it will face the rear of the chair, and the seat will not be able to open fully.
In my opinion, this is not a good thing, and the only thing preventing you from toppling over today is this tiny little metal pane and another on the opposite side of the spring.
Now let’s talk about solutions to this tip-over problem. Let’s say you have a recliner and you currently experience this problem. What can you do? The first thing you should do is to check all the mechanical components.
There are some things you can check yourself like the rocker springs and the restraints. If you think something is broken or if you think an accessory you have is broken you want a repair technician to do this for you.
- Check where the back attaches to the rear of the seat to see if it’s broken or loose okay okay so if the mechanical problem still exists there’s really not much you can do other than to position your chair near a wall.
- If you open it up, the back will touch the wall to prevent the chair from toppling over but it’s going to leave scuff marks and maybe dents in the fabric with use, or you can stop using the chair.
- If you don’t have a mechanical chair, you can try to reconfigure it as some people have, but a better option would be to start with a new chair and make it work for you.
I advise not to buy a rocker recliner when you get this muscle issue because it just maybe those little restrictor pins two of them to prevent you from falling over. I suggest looking for a stationary chair instead. Next to check is the back’s recline.
Fix Your Recliner before it tips over
It’s best to look for a chair that has just a slight recline and nothing that goes nearly flat because the deeper you go, the more likely it is that your chair will topple over.
When looking for a chair for a large person, you need to keep in mind that some companies will simply take their regular recliner and simply make it larger, that is not what you want a true big men’s chair will be heavy-duty and sturdy.
What things should you buy to ensure a safe recliner?
- It needs to be as close to your body as possible.
- It needs to be as far away from the heat source as possible. (Your body heat is what makes your chair become uncomfortable.)
- It needs to have enough “give” or padding to prevent you from sitting too close or too far away.
One thing you should never do is put a heating pad or electric blanket under your regular bedding.
What steps should you take before you buy a recliner?
- Make sure it has a head rest.
- Check to see if the arms can be pulled out so you can put on a sweater or heavy robe.
- If it has a television (and most new ones do), make sure the buttons are easy to push.
- Have a phone jack, make sure the cord is long enough to reach where you are sitting.
- If it has a cigarette lighter, make sure it works.
Lastly, when you go shopping, take a friend or family member with you so they can act as spotters since you do want to try a lot of different chairs out from different makes and styles.
If you have someone beside you in the store, they can catch you if you fall so that you don’t fall over now if you do not have someone to assist you, then please visit my how to buy the right recliner article.
In addition, if you had this tip-over problem and managed to resolve it, let us know in the comments how you handled it or if you solved the problem by buying a new chair that didn’t have the issue, let us know what brand, make and style worked for you.
Frequently Asked Questions
What to do if recliner is not working?
If recliner is not working, simply pull up to a complete stop, then push button #1 on dash board or door panel. This will allow you to get out of the vehicle and use the other restroom. Make sure you DO NOT leave your car running with the engine turned off. Doing so will cause it to die. When you are finished using the other restroom, go back to the car and turn the key. The car will start right up.
What should you do if the tip over problem occurs?
If this happens, immediately move your pawn one square forward. That will bring it back to the square where it started from. If the problem continues, then you must have placed your pawn on an illegal square. In that case, you must move your pawn one square back where it came from. This will put it back on the square where it belongs and solve the problem. Remember, if you move any other piece, it will create a new problem somewhere else in the board.