Medical recliners are an important piece of equipment for many patients. In particular, those with chronic conditions or mobility issues find them to be especially helpful. Unfortunately, many people are unsure of whether Medicare covers the cost of these recliners.
The short answer is: yes, Medicare will cover medical recliners in certain situations. To be eligible, the recliner must be prescribed by a doctor and deemed medically necessary. This means that the doctor must determine the recliner is necessary to help the patient improve their medical condition.
In addition, the recliner must be purchased from a Medicare-approved supplier. This means that the supplier must meet all Medicare requirements, including providing proof of Medicare reimbursement. Only then will Medicare cover the cost of the recliner.
If the recliner is found to be medically necessary and purchased from a Medicare-approved supplier, Medicare Part B will cover 80 percent of the cost. The remaining 20 percent is the patient’s responsibility.
It’s important to note that Medicare does not cover the cost of lift chairs, which are recliners with a motorized lift feature. This feature helps the patient to stand up more easily and safely. Medicare does not consider lift chairs to be medically necessary and therefore does not cover their cost.
For those who need a medical recliner, it’s important to understand what is and is not covered by Medicare. Knowing the requirements is the first step in determining if Medicare will cover the cost of the recliner.
Frequently Asked Questions
FAQ 1: Are medical recliners covered by Medicare?
Answer: Medicare does not cover medical recliners. However, Medicare may cover some durable medical equipment that is used in conjunction with a recliner, such as a hospital bed, wheelchair, or walker. It is important to check with your doctor and Medicare provider to see what items are covered.
FAQ 2: How much does a medical recliner cost?
Answer: The cost of a medical recliner can vary greatly depending on the features and quality of the product. Generally, basic models can cost anywhere from $200 to $500, while more advanced models can range from $1,000 to $2,500 or more.
FAQ 3: What is the difference between a medical recliner and a regular recliner?
Answer: Medical recliners are designed to provide extra support and comfort for people with physical disabilities, chronic pain, or mobility issues. They are typically made with higher-grade materials, such as foam or gel, and may feature adjustable armrests, leg rests, and lumbar supports. Regular recliners are usually made with lower-grade materials, such as polyester or cotton, and lack the added comfort and support features of medical recliners.
FAQ 4: What are the benefits of a medical recliner?
Answer: Medical recliners can provide improved support and comfort for people with physical disabilities, chronic pain, or mobility issues. They can also help reduce the risk of falls and injuries related to standing or sitting for long periods of time. In addition, medical recliners can help reduce stress on the spine, relieve pressure points, and improve overall posture.
FAQ 5: Where can I buy a medical recliner?
Answer: Medical recliners can be purchased from a variety of retailers, including medical supply stores, furniture stores, and online retailers. It is important to research the product carefully and compare features and prices before purchasing.